WMU Campus History

Photographs, Images, and Trivia

Back to Campus History

Bench and flowerbeds, south side of The Oaklands

Images and Trivia:

Photographs,
grouped by decade:


John G. Kemper Graphic Art

John Kemper graphic
The background graphic on this webpage is derived from a 1952-53 print for the semi-centenniel by John G. Kemper, a faculty member in the Art Department. The design served as the end papers for the book, "The First Fifty Years: A History of Western Michigan College of Education 1903-1953", by Dr. James O. Knauss, published 1953 by Western Michigan College of Education. The original print is on display in the main floor lobby of Walwood Hall.

Henry J. Beukema Engineering Graphics

Detail from 1962 campus map

Henry J. Beukema was an engineering graphics professor at Western Michigan University from 1942 until his retirement in 1977. In addition to teaching he contributed his graphic and drafting skills in designing the official campus maps throughout the 1950's and 60's.

Click here for more information and examples of Henry Beukema's technique.

 

 

Planning Division of Facilities Management; Mail #5313
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5313 USA
(269) 387-8543 or 387-8544 | (269) 387-8818 Fax
campus-facility@wmich.edu

 

Shipping Address:

1201 Oliver Street

Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5313