WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

1940 Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital
Building and Road Plan

Back to CHHS Master Plan

bullet The Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric Hospital (KRPH) has existed continuously at the Oakland Drive location since 1859.  The Michigan Asylum for the Insane and Asylum Avenue were the original names of the place and the road. 

bullet The Michigan system of asylums was designed to be self-supporting with all manner of in-house industries and services providing food, clothing and other necessities for staff and patients.   Most of these functions were located on the asylum grounds or nearby in the community. 

bullet The Kalamazoo Hospital building plan shown below illustrates this principal very well.  An inventory of the 1940s buildings includes male and female infirmaries, male and female hospitals, water tower, cottages for staff and resident physicians, chapel, greenhouse and workroom, power plant, nurses' residence, auditorium, maintenance building and garage, cannery, laundry, and kitchen.  Several miles away at the Asylum Lake Farm were more hospital units and staff cottages, piggeries and dairy barns, and cultivated fields.

1940 Building and Road Plan for the Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital

A brief history of selected buildings*:

*Building information is from the KRPH 135th Anniversary pamphlet, published in 1994.

 

Top