WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1994-1998

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous     Next
1994
Addition to and remodeling of Gary Center; renamed Student Recreation Center
Student Recreation Center dedicated August 29, 1994
Aerial photo of the SRC and Read Fieldhouse
Renovation of Read Fieldhouse
University Arena dedicated August 29, 1994

Shaw Theatre remodel and addition

Renamed Irving S. Gilmore Theatre Complex

Irving S. Gilmore Theatre Complex
Dedicated November 30, 1994

Power Plant acquired.

(Property transfer from Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric Hospital)

Aerial photo of power plant and Stadium Drive
Dedication May 7, 1995
of WMU Unified Clinics, located in the University Medical and Health Sciences Center on Oakland Drive
Unified Clinics building
The Unified Clinics provide services to the community through clinical programs attached to the departments and schools of the College of Health and Human Services.

Trustees Fountain under construction
before

Trustees Fountain at Waldo Library plaza

Dedicated to the Board of Trustees September 24, 1994

Trustees Fountain
after
1995

Parking Services Building acquired.

1996

Renovation of Waldo Stadium; John Gill Clubhouse

Click to see aerial view.
John Gill Clubhouse

John Gill Clubhouse dedicated April 6, 1996

John W. Gill, a 1924 Western graduate, served as football coach and adminstrator in the 40's and 50's. He also contributed the name "Bronco's", adopted as Western's mascot in 1939.
Sindecuse Health Center renovation
Ernest Wilbur Building (EWB) leased from KRPH for Nursing and Occupational Therapy

Administration and Flight Operations Building

School of Aviation
Battle Creek, Michigan

Flight Operations, 1996

Dedicated September 19, 1997

Click to see aerial view.

Aviation Education Center

School of Aviation
Battle Creek, Michigan

Education Center, 1996

Dedicated September 19, 1997

Click to see aerial view.

Aircraft Maintenance Center

School of Aviation
Battle Creek, Michigan

Hangar - Maintenance Center, 1996

Dedicated September 19, 1997

Click to see aerial view.

1997
Power Plant remodeled
Oakland Recital Hall building (The Theatre) remodeled; recital hall named Campus Cinema
Front entrance of "The Little Theatre" and the Campus Cinema
Campus Cinema dedicated September 5, 1997
1998
Dr. Elson S. Floyd appointed President
Dr. Elson S. Floyd
Dr. Floyd served as Western's sixth President from 1998 to 2003.
Renovation of Waldo Stadium;
Bill Brown Alumni Football Center
Aerial view of Bill Brown Center

Bill Brown Alumni Center dedicated July 10, 1998

Willard A. "Bill" Brown

Willard A. "Bill" Brown, a long-time University supporter and volunteer, was an outstanding student-athlete and 1953 graduate of Western.

Wood Hall renovation

Dedicated April 24, 1998

Aerial photo of Wood and Haenicke Halls (Everett Tower is seen at the far left)
Leslie H. Wood Hall was first built in 1962.
Property transfer from State - Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric Hospital, including Ernest Wilbur Building (EWB) and the Northwest Unit on  Blakeslee Street.
1999 aerial photo
Oakland Drive Campus: Area bounded by Howard St., Oakland Dr., Oliver St., and Stadium Dr.
West Hills Athletic Club acquired.

 

 

Top