WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1984-1993

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous   Next
1984
1985
Dr. Diether H. Haenicke appointed President
Dr. Diether H. Haenicke
Dr. Haenicke served as WMU's fifth President from 1985 to 1998. He continues to serve as a faculty member in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature.
Addition to McCracken Hall for Paper Pilot Plant, component of Paper Science and Engineering programs.
1986
1987
Campus Services Building
Campus Service Building
University Stores building remodeled for Paper and Printing Sciences, renamed Welborn Hall after the State senator and Western supporter who passed away in 1985.
Robert A. Welborn Priting Management Center
Home for Robert A. Welborn Printing Management Center, dedicated March 25, 1988.
1988
Maybee Hall and Home Management Building demolished; planning begins for the new academic computing center and honors college building.
Building acquired for Grand Rapids Regional Center - Beltline. Dedicated on September 21, 1990. Renamed The Graduate Center - Beltline in 2001.
1989
Bernhard Student Center remodeled
Waldo Stadium renovation; new total of 30,000 seats.
1989 photograph of football game at Waldo Stadium
1990
Carl and Winifred Lee Honors College
Entrance to Lee Honors College, 1990
Dedicated October 12, 1990.  Carl Lee achieved a long and successful career with Fetzer Broadcasting, culminating as president, general manager and owner.
1991
Safety and Security Building (Arcadia Clubhouse) and Hillside Apartments demolished during planning to renovate and expand the Gary Physical Education Center.
University Computing Center
University Computing Center, west entrance
Dedicated April 24, 1992
511 Monroe building acquired for Public Safety

Waldo Library renovation

Dedicated April 24, 1992

The computing center, clock tower, and library
Photo of Waldo Library and University Computing Center, 1990's

The Charles and Mary Stewart Clock Tower links the University Computing Center (left wing) and the renovated Waldo Library (right wing). The Stewarts were the parents of Helen Stewart Frays, a 1934 graduate who bequeathed a record-setting gift to WMU in 1996.

College of Business building

Named Arnold E. Schneider Hall in 1993.

Schneider Hall

Dedicated October 11, 1991.

Schneider joined the University in 1947 to head the Department of Business Education, renamed the Business Department in 1948. When WMU gained University status in 1956, the department was elevated and renamed the School of Business and Schneider was named dean. In 1969, still under his leadership, the school became the College of Business.
Gilmore House donated to the University.
Gilmore House
1992
Walwood Hall renovation
The former Walwood Union dedicated as the
Harold and Beulah McKee Alumni Center

Linda Richards Building re-acquired by State. Building renovation and addition for Michigan State University's Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies (later named the University Medical and Health Sciences Center)

Entrance to Unified Clinics
1993
Miller Auditorium remodeled, with addition of 'bridge' to new Parking Ramp.
Parking Ramp #2
Miller Plaza parking ramp
 

 

 

Top