WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1974-1983

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous  Next
1974
Dr. John T. Bernhard appointed President
Dr. John T. Bernhard
Dr. Bernhard served as WMU's fourth President from 1974 to 1985.
Acquired new Presidential Residence, 1201 Short Road
President's Residence
Stadium Drive Apartments
102 units

Stadium Drive Apartments - 1982 campus map

Kanley Running Track

Replaced cinder track in Waldo Stadium, which was removed during Stadium renovation

"Recreation Building"

Dedicated as Harry W. Lawson Ice Arena and Edward A. Gabel Natatorium on September 28, 1974

Recreation Building

Edward A. Gabel, a professor in Health, Physical Education and Recreation, became Western's first swim coach in 1956.  His teams were successful throughout the 60's.

Harry W. Lawson began Western's hockey program as a club team in 1958-9 and would remain as head coach through 1966.  Prior to construction of the ice arena, teams played on an outdoor rink near Crosstown Parkway.

1975
Waldo Stadium renovation
1976 band preformance at Waldo Stadium

New total of 25,000 seats. Field resurfaced with AstroTurf.

 

Asylum Lake property (former Psychiatric Hospital Farm) deeded over from State
Map of Psychiatric Hospital property at Asylum Lake
1976
1977

Colony Farm deeded over from State

Map of Asylum Lake and Colony Farm Orchard
Ellsworth Hall remodeled for use as administrative and faculty offices.
1978
1979
Knollwood Metal Building
Constructed to house metal foundry and kilns for the Department of Art.
Ebert Field
1984 photo of Ebert Field
The varsity softball field was constructed in the late 70's. The dedication was in June, 1985, honoring Fran Ebert, Western's first women's basketball coach (1964-1982) and first softball coach (1976-1985)
1980
Public Safety Annex
Originally a residence; located on the corner of West Michigan and Marion Avenues. Later used as construction office for Wood and Haenicke Halls projects. Demolished in 1999.
1981
1982

Dorothy U. Dalton Center

Click to view construction photos.

Framing for first floor of Dalton Center
Dorothy Upjohn Dalton was a member of the WMU Board of Trustees from 1964 to 1972.
1983

Linda Richards Building

Property transfer from Kalamazoo State Psychiatric Hospital

Linda Richards and HOI Buildings - campus map
Linda Richards served as Chief of Nursing at the Kalamazoo State Hospital from 1906 to 1909.

Herman Ostrander Infirmary (HOI) Building

Property transfer from Kalamazoo State Psychiatric Hospital

Dr. Herman Ostrander was Superintendent of the Kalamazoo State Hospital from1916 to 1930.

The Infirmary Building was razed in 1998.

Herman Ostrander Infirmary, 1998 aerial photgraph

Henry Montague House

Property transfer from Kalamazoo State Psychiatric Hospital

Montague House
The Montague House was placed on the National Historic Registry in 1983. It is currently the home for the American Association of University Professors.
John E. Fetzer Business Development Center
1984 photo of the Fetzer Center

John Fetzer was honored for his longtime support of and financial generosity to Western, and his many achievements, including founding Fetzer Broadcasting and owning the Detroit Tigers.

A display in the Fetzer Center documents his career and achievements.

Top