WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1964-1973

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous  Next

Paul V. Sangren Hall

Dr. Sangren served as Western's second President from 1936 to 1960.  He first came to Western in 1923 as a faculty for the Department of Education.

Paul V. Sangren Hall, 1964
Knollwood Building acquired to house College of Education field placement offices
The Knollwood Building was originally an elementary school for the Knollwood neighborhood.  It was constructed in 1930.
Addition to
Gary Physical Education Center.
Gary Center, east side, and parking lot
Addition to (Bernhard) Student Center.
North Valley Residence Unit #2 (later named Goldsworth Valley Unit #2)
1960's campus development plan
North Valley Residence Unit #3 (later named Goldworth Valley Unit #3)

Industrial and Engineering Technology Building

Renamed Kohrman Hall in 1980.

Northwest entrance to Kohrman
Dr. George Kohrman was Director of Vocational Education and of the Division of Vocational and Practical Arts Education from 1952 to 1956, and Dean of the College of Applied Sciences from 1956 to 1973.
The Goldsworth Valley was dedicated in 1965, in honor of John Goldsworth, Director of Physical Plant and Maintenance from 1944 until his retirement in 1965.

Building acquired to house Home Management

(Building demolished in 1988 during planning for the honors college building.)


Distributive Education Building

Named after Dr. Adrian Trimpe, Chair of the Department of Distributive Education from 1957 to 1973, after his retirement.
Trimpe Distributive Education Building

University Auditorium

Renamed Miller Auditorium, after President James W. Miller, in 1971.

Grand Opening,
January 12-26, 1968

Stage view; photo from American School & University article, December 1968

The University Auditorium's Grand Opening, on January 12, 1968, featured the University Symphony, directed by Julius Stulberg, performing to a packed and appreciative house.

Kalamazoo Gazette photo of opening night audience

"The Liberal Arts Complex"

Dedication ceremony

"Liberal Arts Complex and University Auditorium; photo from American School & University, December 1968

The Liberal Arts Complex - Sprau Tower, Brown Hall, and Shaw Theatre - was dedicated on May 4, 1968.

Laura Shaw Theatre

Laura Shaw Theatre, 1964
Laura V. Shaw was a long-time member of the Speech Department, starting in 1918. She directed the Western State Normal Players from 1921 to 1952.  She served for many years as Head of the Department of Speech, and then Chair of the Department of Communication from until her retirement in 1953.

William Brown Hall

A plaque honoring Dr. Brown reads:
"His verve gave life to books and books to lives."

Brown Hall, west entrance, and plaza fountain, 1969

Dr. William R. Brown first came to Western's English Department in 1917.  He served as Chair of the English Department from 1946 to 1956.

George Sprau Office Tower
Sprau Tower, 1968
First hired in 1909, during Dr. Sprau's 30-plus years at Western he was both Head of the English Department and the primary advisor/developer of the first bachelor's degree program.
Addition to Waldo Library

Waldo Library in 1964
Waldo Library in 1975

Addition to Aviation Classroom Facility on Kilgore Road (near Airport).
Stadium Dr. Apartments
200 units

Stadium Drive Apartments - 1970 campus map

Health Center
1984 aerial photo of the Health Center
Dedicated as Sindecuse Health Center in 1986, in honor of endowment donors Gordon and Elizabeth Sindecuse.
Addition to McCracken Hall: teaching and research labs.
Construction photo, addition to McCracken

The Schools of Applied Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, General Studies, Graduate Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences were renamed the Colleges of Applied Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, General Studies and The Graduate College.

Student Services Building

Renamed Faunce Student Services Building in the late 1970's.

1984 photo of Student Services Building, during roof repairs
L. Dale Faunce was Vice-President for Student Services and Public Relations from 1957 to 1967.

Parking Ramp (by Ellsworth Hall)

Paul Rood Hall
Rood Hall and Everett Tower
Dr. Paul Rood first came to Western in 1916. He was Chair of the Department of Physics from 1952 to 1964.
John P. Everett Office Tower
Professor Everett headed the Mathematics Department from 1914 until his retirement in 1945.

"Instructional Facility Complex":

Robert Friedmann Hall

Willis E. Dunbar Hall

James O. Knauss Hall


See the 1970 University Magazine: Spring/Summer for articles relating to campus planning and the Pedestrian Parkway shown at right.

Walkway between Knauss and Friedman Halls
Dr. Friedmann was a noted historian in the Department of History from 1944 until 1961.
View of Knauss and Dunbar Halls from Promenade
Dr. Dunbar started on the faculty in 1951, and was Chair of the Department of History from 1961 to 1968. He retired in 1970.
Dr. James O. Knauss was a history and social science faculty from 1926 to 1956, and was Head of the Division of Social Sciences in the 50's. He wrote both the 25th anniversary history and the semi-centennial history of Western ("The First Fifty Years: 1903-1953")
Architectural rendering of classroom-office complex
"Lightsounds" sculpture by Anita Cooke
Anita Cooke's ceramic tile sculpture, "Lightsounds" was installed on the exterior wall of the Knauss Hall gallery in 1989.
Storage building added to Aviation facilities on Kilgore Road, near Airport.
Start of project to extend Howard Street from Stadium Drive to West Main Street, with closing of West Michigan Avenue between Wood Hall and Seibert Administration Building. Culmination of campus and city planning studies started in the early 60's.
Acquisition of former Harding's Market for use as University Stores. Later renamed Welborn Hall.