WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1914 - 1923

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous  Next
1914
First athletic field constructed
1915

Science Building and Greenhouse

Science Building (West Hall) during construction.  Power plant stack on right.
The Normal School's Heating Plant smokestack can be seen in the extreme right in the photo of the Science Building. It would have many names and functions over the years, including Power Plant, Electronics Shop, Garage, and Upholstery Shop.
Heating Plant
1916

 

1917

Eames Mill acquired to house Manual Training Shops

The Mill would be condemned and razed in 1942.

Michigan's Life Certificate for teachers now increased to a three-year training program from two.

1918

"Barracks" Building or "Temporary" Building (housing for Student Army Training Corps, later remodeled for classrooms)

Barracks building in foreground; Normal Hill in background. Barracks Science Building Library Building East Hall with cupola
Pass pointer over buildings to identify.

Photo above shows the Barracks along Michigan Avenue. Above can be seen the Library and Science Buildings and the cupola for the Administration Building.

Construction photograph of Barracks Building
Photograph of "Barracks" and "Annex", under construction.
The Barracks would be razed in 1948.

Western introduces first four-year degree program

1919
1920

1921

Manual Arts Building

(Eames Mill becomes the PlayHouse for the Western State Normal Players, or the "Players".)

Auto Shop in Manual Arts Building, 1923

Drawing of horse on chalkboard
Enlargement of the chalkboard in the 1923 photo at left reveals a drawing of a horse. This is NOT a "Bronco" - in 1923 the Western nickname was still "Hilltoppers".
Manual Arts Building south entrance (photo 2003)
1922
Kleinstuck Preserve is gifted to WSTS by Mrs. Caroline Kleinstuck as a wildlife preserve. The Preserve is comprised of 47.5 acres, and located several blocks south of Howard St. and a block east of Oakland Drive.
Map of Kleinstuck Preserve
1923
Two wooden buildings built for additional classrooms (and later torn down in the 30's). President Waldo had already begun acquiring more land in anticipation of the need for more classrooms and other facilities. (1921 Land Survey; 1927 Campus Planning Map)

 

 

Top