WMU Campus History
Navigation Bar WMU Home Page WMU Campus History Home Page WMU Campus Master Plan Home Page Planning Division Home Page Facilities Management Home Page Contact Campus Planning

Western Michigan University
Building Timeline ~ 1903 - 1913

Timeline Home Page                                               Previous  Next
1903

State Legislature authorizes creation of Western State Normal School.

Prospect Hill was chosen from four prospective sites by the Olmsted Brothers Landscape Services firm of Brookline, Massachusetts.
Prospect Hill, looking west from Walnut Street
The building site on Prospect Hill, $40,000 for construction, and all utilities connections were donated to the State by the Kalamazoo school board.
1904

Dr. Dwight B. Waldo elected Principal on April 1, 1904.

Dr. Dwight B. Waldo

Classes start fall, 1904, in leased facilities; groundbreaking for first building was on July 9, 1904.

Dr. Waldo served Western from 1904 until 1936.
1905
Administration Building opens for classes on September 1, 1905
Construction photo of Administration Building, 1905
The first commencement was held on June 6, 1905, before the first building was completed.
1906
First departments were Civics, Domestic Science, Drawing, English, History, Manual Training, Mathematics, (Teaching) Methods, Physical Education, Psychology, Rural School, and Science.
A two-year training program would earn the student a Life Certificate for teaching.
1907
 
1908
Gymnasium and Annex
(addition to Administration Building)
Administration Building, Annex, and Gymnasium
State appropriations to construct the new buildings totaled $84,000.

Dr. Waldo named President of Western State Normal School.

1909
Training School
South side of Training School with school garden in foreground
The State appropriated $60,000 for the construction of the Training School.
1910
Postman on Oakland Drive in 1910
1910 photograph of postman, horse, and mail wagon on Oakland Drive, with East Hall in the background.
1911
1912
1913

 

Top