WMU Campus History

1987 Campus Maps : Western Michigan University

Campus Maps Main Page

Aerial photo of Waldo Stadium and Hyames Field, early 80's

line

1987 Campus Map

1987 Campus Map
Click to view enlargement

bullet In 1987 more than 23,000 students were enrolled in Western Michigan University.  By this time only the College of Business and the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology remained on East Campus.  Walwood Union and Dormitory was leased out as fraternity housing.  Oakland Gym was home to the University's ROTC programs.  The Manual Arts Building housed Physical Plant offices and services.  Brink Printing Services occupied the Mechanical Trades Building.

bullet Recent additions to the University included the Dalton Center for the College of Fine Arts, the Fetzer Development Center, and the Campus Services Building, while the Montague House, the Linda Richards Building, and the HOI Building were acquired from the state (former State Psychiatric Hospital properties). 

bullet A former private home on Knollwood Avenue was converted to the Sara Swickard Preschool, and one on Marion Drive, near the Faunce Student Services Building, became the Public Safety Annex (for Parking Services).  One of the University's earliest property acquisitions on West Campus, the Arcadia Clubhouse, was still in use as the main Public Safety building.

bullet Planning was well underway for several significant building projects on West Campus.  A new building for the College of Business would be located just north of the Fetzer Center.  The Home Management House, a earlier acquisition on the corner of what used to be Gilkison and West Michigan Avenues, was razed to make way for a new Honors College building.  (The location near the geographic center of campus would symbolize the Honors College's importance to the University.)  Lastly, to accommodate an expansion of the Waldo Library plus a new Computing Center, Maybee Hall, former home of the School of Music, would be razed.

 

 

 

Planning Division of Facilities Management; Mail #5313
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5313 USA
(269) 387-8543 or 387-8544 | (269) 387-8818 Fax
campus-facility@wmich.edu

 

Shipping Address:

1201 Oliver Street

Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5313