WMU Campus History

1985 Campus Maps : Western Michigan University

Campus Maps Main Page

Aerial photo of Waldo Stadium and Hyames Field, early 80's

bullet Even though fifteen years have passed since the 1970 Campus Development Plan was approved and West Michigan Avenue was closed, there are few other physical changes on campus.  The pedestrian promenade between Sangren Hall and Miller Auditorium has been completed and lined with flowering trees, but roads such as North and South Hayes and North and South Dormitory still criss-cross campus and allow pedestrians and vehicles to mix. The east end of West Michigan Avenue culminates in a parking lot while the west side has become a hodge-podge of the old city street grid, private properties, leased University office space, and University parking.

bullet After a long funding drought, several construction and renovation projects came to fruition.  The Dorothy U. Dalton Center for the School of Music and the Department of Dance was completed in 1982, and the Fetzer Development Center in 1984.  WMU acquired several buildings from the State Psychiatric Hospital, including the Montague House on Oakland Dr.  Also, there was an addition and renovation to the Paper Pilot Plant in McCracken Hall.

Winter view of Dalton construction site; Kohrman Hall in background
Click to view Dalton Center construction photos

line

1985 Campus Information Pamphlet

Click on sections to view enlargements.

Side 1
A              B             C
1985 Pamphlet - Side 1 Directions to campus and Kalamazoo area map Cover of 1985 WMU pamphlet 1985 pamphlet building and office information

Side 2
D                      E
Pamphlet Side 2 - Campus Map
1985 Campus Map 1985 pamphlet buildings and offices

 

 

Planning Division of Facilities Management; Mail #5313
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5313 USA
(269) 387-8543 or 387-8544 | (269) 387-8818 Fax
campus-facility@wmich.edu

 

Shipping Address:

1201 Oliver Street

Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5313