WMU Campus History

1970 West Michigan "Mall" Sketch

Planning History Page

bullet With the decision to close off the portion of West Michigan Avenue transecting the WMU campus came the opportunity to develop an attractive pedestrian "mall".   Below is a design sketch by the landscape architecture firm O'Boyle & Associates, Inc. of Plainwell, Michigan that creatively unites the two halves of campus. 

bullet The square plaza drawn in red in the center of the sketch is the current location of the flag plaza and the Kruglak Sundial.  The fountain location (drawn in blue) today contains a sculpture from the University's Permanent Art Collection, an untitled piece by Charles Huntingdon.  The parking lot between Sangren Hall and Kanley Chapel still exists, although the drawing shows sidewalks landscaping.  (The 2000 Master Plan recommends its removal.)

Pass pointer over drawing to view comments.
Click here to view enlargement
1970 architectural sketch Sangren Hall Rood Hall Everett Tower Student Services Building (Faunce) Trimpe Distributive Education Building Industrial & Engineering Technology Building (Kohrman Hall) Wood Hall Kanley Chapel Maybee Hall

 

 

Planning Division of Facilities Management; Mail #5313
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5313 USA
(269) 387-8543 or 387-8544 | (269) 387-8818 Fax
campus-facility@wmich.edu

 

Shipping Address:

1201 Oliver Street

Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5313