WMU Campus History

1970 Land Use Plan

Back to 1970 Campus Development Plan

bullet Below is a selected graphic from the 1970 Campus Development Plan report.   The Plan recommended that all academic-related facilities be clustered within a designated "academic core" on the West Campus.  It is worth noting that most of the East Campus is not designated with a specific purpose, but is included in "Unassigned Area".  In 1970 the School of Business and the departments of Speech and Hearing, Dance, and parts of Industrial Education and Technology were still located on East Campus.  The University High School, part of the Campus Training System for student teachers and descended from the original Training School for the Western Michigan Normal School, was closed in 1966.

Pass pointer over map to view comments.
Click here for enlargement
1970 Land Use Map "Academic Core" Stadium Drive

 

 

 

Planning Division of Facilities Management; Mail #5313
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5313 USA
(269) 387-8543 or 387-8544 | (269) 387-8818 Fax
campus-facility@wmich.edu

 

Shipping Address:

1201 Oliver Street

Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5313