By 1962 the University was well into an enrollment boom that had been predicted in the late 50s. The Soviet Union's launch of the Sputnik satellite only added to the growing demand for higher education. Enrollment was over 9,000 students, and the projected increases due to the post-War "baby boom" were just about to be felt.
Responding to all these factors, Western had a very ambitious building program throughout the 50s and 60s and into the early 70s. The period from 1948 to 1962 saw the completion of ten additional residence halls, nine apartment units, three classroom buildings, the Administration Building, the Chapel, the Student Center, Waldo Library, and the Physical Education Building and Field House. All this to provide for an enrollment increase from 4,000 to 9,000 students. The numbers were expected to double again in the next decade.
Development of both East and West Campuses were fairly consistent in philosophy - academic buildings were clustered, and non-academic buildings were located on perimeter areas. East Campus development first concentrated on classrooms and offices but no housing - in the early years all students commuted. The first institutional housing and non-academic student facilities were built in 1938 (Walwood Union and Dormitory for Women).
Classrooms, offices, and dormitories were part of West Campus development from the start. The academic buildings, McCracken and Maybee Halls and Waldo Library were adjacent to each other while campus housing lined up along Western Avenue or around the Student Center on West Michigan Avenue. The (Seibert) Administration Building had a central location.
Looking ahead to the next decade, one of the priorities was to provide more dormitory space. In the 40s and 50s about 50% percent of the students preferred to live on campus and at this point there was no reason to expect a change. Western acquired land to the north and west of the Student Center to develope the "North Valley Residence Units" (now the Goldsworth Valley Complexes). Additional classrooms buildings were planned for both sides of West Michigan Avenue, starting with Wood Hall, completed in 1962.
Interesting note: these are the first campus maps to call Stadium Drive the I-94 Business Loop
Alternative 1962 Campus Map